Sunday, December 30, 2012

Year End Round-up For Kid's Lit.

There were a few kids books that I really liked this year.   Out of the sixty-odd children's books that I got through in 2012 a few of them stood out from the crowd.  They are in no sense current, but spread out all over the place and years. 

For starters there is the Leviathan Trilogy.  I was lucky to stumble upon this threesome in a steampunk package and was pleasantly suprised and delighted with what I had read.  I loved the alternate universe, the mechanics of a Darwinist versus Clankers society, and most of all I loved the female protagonist who not only exceeded expectations but had me laughing out loud.  This is a must read for all the young girls I know (Ages 12 and up)
When You Reach Me  by Rebecca Stead, was a powerful, punchy read which will have you on the edge of your seat until you have finished the book.  Another great female character.  I love it when a story is so intricately woven.  No wonder it won the Newbery. (ages 10 and up)
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (another Newbery winner) was pleasure beyond measure. It was wonderful to hold in my hand ( I loved the feel of the cover and it's embossed words),  the illustrations were perfect, and  the story very original.   Great for both boys and girls.  (Ages 10 and up)

 The Invention of Hugo Cabret  by Brian Selznick.  I plan on including this with my illustrators unit next year.  I was enchanted.  A great big lovely book, such a pleasure to hold and such a wonderful story to read in an afternoon. (Ages 10 and up)
Marshmallow Magic and the Wild Rose Rouge by Karen McCombie.  Another powerful story of a coming of age girl who gets through the bad stuff in an interesting way.  I liked the very Scottishness of it.  The cover is just delicious. (Ages 10 and up)
Shakespeare's Secret by Elise Broach.  A good mystery read.  I don't very often come across mysteries for kids anymore (though we have the classic Hardy Boys, Nancy Drews, and The Three Investigators collecting dust on the shelf).  There just hasn't been the interest, but I liked this one. (Ages 12 and up)
The Twits by Roald Dahl.  The perfect combination of really disgusting things and a children's revolt against grownups that should appeal to any kid, it works every time. (Ages 8 and up)
Kenny and the  Dragon by Tony DiTerlizzi.  I have just started looking at other things that DiTerlizzi wrote,  I really liked his The Search for Wondla.  He just makes a beautiful book.  A great story and gorgeous illustrations, he is the whole package!  What's not to love in a story about a rabbit and a dragon? (Ages 10 and up)

The BFG by Roald Dahl.  I loved this story from start to finish, it wasn't hard to read at all, and I loved the BFG's message.  His arguments were priceless and still very relevant.  'Dahl's Chickens' still cracks me up!
(Ages 10 and up)

To finish up The Witches by Roald Dahl (can you tell I was buying up the rest of the Dahl books we do not have in the library?).  Another winning book by Roald, complete with evil, cruelty and revolution.  The book is better than the movie for sure (but then for the most part the book usually is better than it's movie counterpart.)

My favorite discovery this year is Oliver Jeffers.  I have only bought the one book so far but I plan on getting the rest because they are just magical.  Simple, rich and  beautiful illusrations with sweet little stories to match.  DH and I bought some for our grandnieces this Christmas and they were well liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment