Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sew Deadly

 From time to time I like to take it easy and just read something comfortable and cosy.  And since I am of the crafty persuasion, this book was begging for me to read it.  I have noticed that there are quite a lot of  cosy mysteries out there now, some with knitting, quilting, embroidery, or crochet themes attached.  It's a neat idea, and appealing to a specific crowd of people.  Even 'neater' about this book was that the protagonist is a librarian, which just racheted up my interest.  Throw in a southern locale, a cute little town, a local sewing group (love crafty groups!), this book seems to have all the right hooks to get someone interested. Oh, and of course some murder!
With this kind of book I don't really have a high expectation of it's literary merits, or even of a challenging mystery to solve.  This is just casual, fun reading to me, a vacation of sorts, but I have to admit that this one was a little frustrating to me, because I had figured out who the murderer was early in  the story and I found it annoying how long the rest of them took to find out (the only thing keeping me going was the fact that there was a free sewing pattern at the end of the book which I felt I had to earn by actually reading the whole thing...so no skipping ahead for me!).
Not that I have written off this series.  I will, the next time I feel like it, go back and revisit The Southern Sewing Circle, because at heart, I am just a crafty, gossipy gal who loves a little murder mystery every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment