Thursday, April 25, 2013

Going Down Memory Lane

I usually am a little dubious of stories that have been resurrected and I was pleasantly surprised with this one.  Originally a screen play written by Douglas Adams, Gareth Roberts has filled in the gaps and rounded out the story with some very endearing Adamsisms (just try to pronounce that!).  There is so much of Douglas in this book that it was almost painful to read (in a tear jerking wish you were here kind of way). I was tempted to get out my Hitchhiker and Dirk Gently books, re-read them all and then re-visit Shada just for fun.
It didn't over-shadow our protagonists however, the Doctor and Romana.
Shada was a delightful read, a wonderful rollicking adventure invoking sentimental feelings from when I read the Target books in my primary school library.    I loved the typical spin of an Adam's book that was applied to Shada, and if I ever met Gareth Roberts I would buy him a drink as thanks for honoring Douglas and for writing this story the way that he did.  I will be on the lookout for more by Roberts, and in the meantime, if you want to travel down memory lane too I would grab Shada as soon as possible (making sure that there is a good supply of tea in for the duration of the reading).

No comments:

Post a Comment