Monday, December 9, 2013

When Santa Fell to Earth

                      http://terrasavvy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/When-Santa-Fell-To-Earth-book2.jpg
I had to look up the word "beautiful" before I started to write this because it just is not the right word, it is not good enough,  to help me describe what I feel and think whenever I have one of Cornelia Funke’s books in my hands. 
Starting with The Thief Lord, then the Dragon Rider, the Inkheart trilogy and beyond, it has been a true life altering  journey for me to read her books.   I usually cannot wait for a Cornelia Funke book to go into paperback (my usual practice when buying new books, especially children's fiction), because not only am I impatient to see what she may have come up with next, but the hard covers are much nicer than the paper backs.  Holding one of her books in my hand is a pleasure, the covers are richly coloured and perfectly illustrated for that particular story  and the insides are just as enchanting...wonderful illustrations which are fitted to the words so beautifully that they take my breath away, and the words themselves create such deep and poignant feelings within me that I am transformed after reading only a chapter, or even just a page.  She is just…magic. 
What good fortune for me  that she decided to do a Christmas book!    With Funke’s typically impeccable style, she has crafted a story that tap’s what I think is the essential message of Christmas, and delivers her ideal in such a way that it is not overly sentimental but is (choose one of the following alternative words for beautiful):-   attractive, handsome, lovely, charming, delightful, appealing, engaging, winsome, gorgeous, stunning, arresting, beguiling, graceful, elegant, exquisite, artistic, magnificent, divine, beauteous, comely, fair, of a very high standard, excellent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment