Sunday, May 19, 2019

Haruki Murakami

So this guy is my current focus in Japanese literature.  Last year I had a general category of Japanese literature, which kept on leaning towards Murakami, and I have read a couple of his books over the years, but it has been in the back of my mind to get a closer look at him, his life, his works.  So last winter I began to collect his books until I had them all ( excepting the latest one, Killing Commendatore because it's still in hardcover and the rest of my collection is soft). 
This is my idea of fun, to just focus on a single author for a year or two depending on their body of work, and usually I purchase their entire bibliography because I know that these are books that I will want to revisit again like old friends.   Last year I listened to a couple of Murakami's audio books but there was a great deal of pleasure in reading the books this year.  As is my habit, I begin at the beginning and read on in order of publishing until the end.  Starting with these two gems
  which I enjoyed immensely.  I feel as if I have been given a bead on who the author is.  All of my research tells me that he writes from his life and everything is flavoured with his music, his occupations, and the literature he reads.  Not that I think what happens to his characters happens to him (though that would be fascinating!).  I feel like I have made a new pal, and he is really very interesting.  What will he do next?

No comments:

Post a Comment