Sunday, May 19, 2019

It's Right There in The Title!


It's right there in the title!  I'm saying that right off the bat because this time I will be revealing spoilers about this book all over the place...  and I don't feel bad about that.  Well... maybe I should because not everyone has read about Bovine Spongiform Encephelopathy (BSE), so I guess it wouldn't be as readily apparent to everyone!  When I first became vegan, I did a lot of reading: The Mad Cowboy by Howard Lyman, Diet For  a New America by John Robbins, Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating by Erik Markus, The Moral Lives of Animals by Dale Peterson, Vegan Freak by Bob Torres etc.,  plus I've watched  a few programs about Mad Cow Disease and the Creutzfeldt-Jakob variant. 
So when the protagonist of this book, Cameron Smith, starts to show some symptoms, it's not too hard to leap from the big fat hint in the title to BSE.  It didn't stop me from tearing up when his symptoms were confirmed however...  and tearing up again after he is hospitalized and his brain can no longer tell his lungs how to work.   Everything fades to black.   
What happens next I can only describe as an odyssey of the mind.  Cameron's hallucinations take him on a wild ride across America with a classmate and a possessed garden gnome, having bizarre adventures, and experiencing life ...making friends, fighting bad guys, getting lucky with his high school crush.  I know that sounds a little bucket-listy, but Bray really crafted a great story here.  While there is no way to feel good about the fact that Cameron is dying before he really got to live, his hallucinations give him a kind of peace.  A gift before dying.  So yeah...I got a little teary-eyed at the end too. 
 It doesn't really come up at all, how Cameron contracted this disease... and I won't go into it here, except to say that I appreciate the fact that this book wasn't used as an opportunity to preach or teach about this issue.  This was story telling at it's finest and I am grateful to have read it.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment