Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Lucifer's Tears

My last Scandinavian mystery for a while phew! (though I have learnt that Finland does not consider itself Scandinavian but Nordic).  This last story was really gory and brutal.  There were quite a few times that I said to myself  "Now was that really necessary?".    A few chapters in I was seriously considering putting the book down and never looking at it again, but it grew on me, and after a while I came to like the protagonist Inspector Vaara. 
Unlike my last Scandinavian mystery this one was full of information the country had lots of history and I learnt a little about Finland, though I will have to verify if it was true or not.  I probably won't read any more by this author because the kind of detail he has included really turns my stomach, but if you can get past that, this story is really interesting and the others in the series will probably be really good too. 
It is pretty safe to say that I would not survive in Finland either, because I do not drink alcohol, I would freeze, and I would surely starve (though I would freeze sooner than I would starve that's for sure). 

No comments:

Post a Comment