Friday, January 4, 2013

The Great Gatsby

 It took three tries before I got into the swing of the book (it was a bedside read initially so I was always too tired to really get into it), so this morning I just sat down with my lap top and re-read it from start to finish.  Fitzgerald was a smooth writer, very similar to P.G. Wodehouse, it felt very restful to me no matter what the subject matter was.    The writer worded it better than I could possibly do when he wrote about the effect of one of his character's voices in the novel, "It was the kind of voice that the ear follows up and down as if each speech is an arrangement of notes that will never be played again".  See?  Lovely.    The book is just chockful of such flowery lines, but not so much that you feel a little sick from all the sweetness... it seemed just right to me, like one perfect piece of chocolate cake. It is worth a re-read and I will definitely be looking at his other works.

No comments:

Post a Comment