Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Lathe of Heaven

I love that Ursula K. Le Guin was so perceptive.  Imagining the future is not for the faint of heart and she pulled it off without getting out of hand or making it so unrecognisable that you couldn't take it seriously.  I was hooked, almost from the start, by my own foreshadowings of what might happen next. I didn't think that anything good could come of it, I just couldn't predict what was going to happen  which was a pleasant suprise.  There is so much to consider after reading this book, it would take a  re-read or two to grasp the most basic of Le Guin's concepts, there are, as she put it in the story 'layers of the onion still not peeled off'.  This is the first adult book of Le Guin's that I have ever read, and I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to start.  I will be making an effort in the future to get my hands on whatever else she has written, because she has earned my esteem and respect with this novel and I would love to see what else this brilliant woman has come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment