Monday, February 11, 2013

Android Karenina

I love a good mash-up.   I didn't always feel that way, I resisted Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and it wasn't until DH had given me Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters for Christmas one year that I finally had a look and found it to be quite funny.  There was no stopping me then!  It isn't as I had feared, the original books were treated with respect, not contempt.  There is however one mash-up that did not turn out well... The Meowmorphosis.  I have too much love for the original (I always passionately defend the ones that make me cry), and this treatment was not meant to be, perhaps because the original already had a fantastic storyline and changing it from a cockroach to a kitten, didn't end up being very funny or even very cute.    
 Reading as I have recently The Elegance of the Hedgehog where scenes from the original Anna Karenin was mentioned quite often it was funny to see the Ben Winters version and appreciate the thought and humour that he had put into such a monumental book.  It was sweet because there was so much of Leo Tolstoy there, but with some humour as well thanks to Ben.  I want to go back now and re-read the original, but that won't be a good idea for a year or so yet.  Don't miss the questions at the end... they are hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment