Sunday, February 3, 2013

Macbeth

I'm not ashamed to admit that I haven't read them all.  While I think that Will is magic he can also be really bloody gruesome, so I have managed to avoid this particular play all this time.
I could not put it down!  So gruesome and bloody, but fascinating and exciting all at the same time.  I knew so much of it already just because Shakespeare is already so firmly and inextricably entwined into our popular culture.  Almost every page was a recognition,  lines and people who are everywhere all of the time!  Lead on Macduff!  It was a rush.  I have found myself already applying what I have read to my own life situations (the one-liners not the bloody gruesome stuff!). 

Partnering my reading of Macbeth was this brilliant book written by a teacher from Stratford Ontario, who described her methods for teaching Shakespeare to kids in elementary school.  The poem she wrote describing the play and which she had her kids enact was amazing.  It looked like the kids just loved it!   That's right... a pack of bloodthirsty second and third graders, imagine that!

No comments:

Post a Comment